Monday, January 1, 2018

It's not about perfection

It's not about perfection...
Here I sit, on New Years Day with a clean slate in front of me.  There are things that I am planning for and I am smart enough to know that there are things I will have no control over.  One of the things I am going to try and put words to is my why.  Why am I going to pursue a healthy lifestyle.  Number one reason is for those I love the most.  I've been sick.  I know what it's like to have to have others take care of me.  I know what it's like to not have energy or muscle strength or lung capacity and when that was my life it was not under my control.  Now those things are behind me.  My myositis is quiet and there is no reason not to make the most of this life I have been given. 
For those I love the most:
I love spending time together as a family. I love that every day is a gift.  I want to be a role model to Emma and Jacob and the best wife I can be for Bill.  I don't want to take that responsibility lightly. What are my children learning from me?
Today I walked for an hour. I completed day 14 of a 30 day fitness challenge. I made some healthy food choices.
I haven't figured out how to say no to sweets.  This is when I need to remind myself that it isn't about perfection. It's about not quitting.  And it might be about figuring out why it's such a challenge to control sweet craving/consumption.  I am excited to see what this year will bring.  What will I learn and what will I teach.
Today we did quite a bit of lounging around.  At one point Emma said this was her shortest winter break and Bill replied, "just think, next year at this time you will be in the middle of your longest winter break ever.  Hard to believe that she is 18.  Even harder to believe that in eight months she will be heading off to college.  It's hard think about not having her here with us and when those thoughts make me sad I have to remember that this is a very exciting time for her. This past week she learned that Abbi Giese from Oshkosh will be her roommate.  They have been getting to know each other through snapchat and she is happy to be able to keep moving forward. Next step is applying for housing.
Jacob update:  Freshman year is going well for him.  He is doing great academically.  He played volleyball in the fall and now he is participating in the high school pit orchestra for the upcoming musical, The Adamms Family.  He loves lacrosse and is looking forward to that season getting up and running.  Jacob talks about a career in the Navy. At least now he is thinking about a career in engineering.

I would like to end my entries with a quote or verse or words of advise:

Proverbs 16:9, “A man’s heart plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps.”

No comments: