Friday, May 8, 2009

Tuesday and Friday of this week

On Tuesday of this week I had a mammogram. I had one three years ago when I first got sick. At that time the doctors ordered every kind of test possible and sometimes they were done a couple times to ensure a solid baseline for any future tests. People with myositis and people who take some of the prescription drugs I have taken have a higher risk of certain kinds of cancers.
Anyway, on Tuesday, shortly after I got home, I received a call from the clinic that they wanted me to come back for more pictures and an ultrasound. There were some areas that they found questionable. I told Bill. We prayed. He did some internet surfing. I called my mom and dad and emailed my sisters. Although you can never have too many prayers, I didn't want to worry too many people and I was fearful of overreacting. I hoped that if I played it cool, it would be OK.

A friend of mine is a PA at Froedert in the breast care center so I looked her up on facebook and asked for some information and advise. I am going to share with you what she had to say so that if you or someone you love are ever faced with this second appointment, you might also feel better prepared. I told my friend Kimberly that in addition to being a church friend, I knew God had another purpose for our paths crossing. There are a few other very special things about Kimberly and her family that have God's handprints on them. We are blessed to know them.
Anyway, here is what she told me

As for the mammogram.... In young women, it is very common to get call backs due to the high density of breast tissue. When the radiologist sees dense breasts on mammogram, they like to get extra views - including compression views over those dense areas. If things do not flatten out, an ultasound is used to help locate any abnormal areas in that dense tissue. If they see something on ultrasound, they may want to do an ultrasound guided biopsy to determine exactly what it is (fibroadenoma, cyst, etc). Chances are, you may have a benign fibroadenoma or cyst that looks a little suspicious on the mammogram.
Things to ask, If they are having trouble with the density of the breasts, ask if an MRI would be helpful. MRI of the breast can give a better look in dense breast tissue. Be warned, that if they see things on MRI, the next step is second look ultasound and possible biopsy. If things get confusing, please feel free to call me

Where are you going for your mammograms? Remember, you usually have a choice where you can get things done, so if something doesn't seem right, ask for copies of your films and get a second opinion. Froedtert has a great breast care center that sees patients for any type of breast complaint. Anna Purdy, NP is usually your first contact and she is great! The radiologists are really good and trustworthy too. I don't want to put any other place down, I just know our department is good!
Hope that helps! I will keep you in my prayers! Let me know if you have more questions, OK? :)
Kimberly


Friday morning I was at the clinic for my follow up appointment at 8:10. After a few more compressions/pictures, I waited. The radiologist asked for the ultrasound. It was done and I waited. The doctor came in and said there was nothing to worry about. She did say that because I have a slightly higher risk that she would recommend having mammograms and MRI's rotated every six months and I agreed. By 9:15 I was on my way to work with a smile on my face and a weight off my shoulders and praise in my heart.

I think that's enough for one week.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Kris

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Kris, thank you for your nice words! I too have felt there was a reason our paths kept crossing! I am relieved to hear things are just fine. It also helps that you blog about these things. I find that women need to take charge of their healthcare. If something about your care doesn't "feel" right, second opinions are a good way to have someone look at things with fresh eyes. Providers do not get mad or upset with you if you seek a second opinion (if they do, there is trouble).

I'm glad you got the answers to your questions and things turned out for the best! God Bless!

Vicki said...

and a good dose of vitamin J for all of us.

Anonymous said...

God bless you, Kris, you are such an inspiration.