Thursday, May 7, 2009

Throw out fifty things....

I've been reading a book called "Throw Out Fifty Things -Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life" by Gail Blanke
I haven't finish the book yet but it has already inspired me to clean out my dresser and closet and I have gotten rid of nearly everything that doesn't fit. Well almost...it's in the back of the van and will be dropped off by the end of the day tomorrow.
One page in particular (page 102) struck me as being very powerful and empowering. Here's what it says:
"For me, people who live solely on their laurels and accomplishments from the past are a yawn. I don't want to know how wonderful you were in high school or how you used to bicycle twenty miles a day. I want to know: What are you doing with your life today? Looking backward holds no charm for me. What's done is done. Learn from it and move on." ....."There is something to learn here: Whether you are-or were-a VIP or a regular Joe, let the old stuff go. How else will you have room and energy to reinvent and recreate yourself." "I like change and am ready for the next big adventure," Pat says, "which is how I see life- as a series of adventures."

OK, now not one of those above words are mine but I think there is a lot there. As I learn to create my life with Myositis I have been trying to measure my health by what I can and can not do.
Example: Before I got sick I enjoyed completing triathalons. I know I am better when I can participate in them again. Is that really going to be the measure?
Before I got sick I was a size 10. I know I am better when I am back in that shape. Really? I am three years older and my body has been through a lot. I have climbed a hypothetical mountain and I feel as though the top is within my reach.
That's the adventure...the hypothetical mountain.
When I get to the top. I promise you I will enjoy the view and prepare for the next big adventure. I will not go down the mountain the same way I went up or I would end up see everything over again and not something new.
Friends, look ahead. Enjoy the adventure.
Talk to you soon.
Kris

1 comment:

Meg said...

OMG Kris, welcome to my world! Looking back at my own epiphany, now a couple years past, what motivated me and totally changed my outlook was the thinking, "what am I missing... what adventure could happen *today*??" John and I talk a lot about Being Present and Being Future-minded... So much joy comes from both of those mindsets, it's interesting to stop and make mental note of where we each are, present or future. Those things in our pasts mold and shape our present-selves, for sure -- but Today and Tomorrow hold so much potential. Just Be. Love you tons, Kris!