Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Down the hatch...

Today I took my first 60mg of prednisone.
Who knows, maybe the side effects won't get me like they did the last time.
I know more now. I'm smarter than the last time around.

So, I don't have a choice about the medication but I do have other choices I can make. Here are a few:
  • Today I took the stairs instead of the elevator.
  • I am going to try really hard to eliminate sweets and treat myself to fresh berries for dessert instead.
  • I am going to walk 5 days a week or more. Star's a lucky dog.
  • I am going to write down what I am eating, when and why.

I talked to the nurse this morning. She gave me the tapering schedule for the prednisone and then we talked about the possible side effects. She said it's a lot like having PMS all the time. I may want to eat all the time. She recommended that I really listen to my body to determine if I need something to eat or if it's the medicine (that's why I will be writing it all down). She said my face may puff up but I need to remember that it's temporary and will go away when I stop taking the medicine. She said I may have unexpected emotions (sadness, anger, etc...). Again, reminding myself that this too shall pass. That's why I am going to walk more.

60mg's for one week
40 mg's for 4 weeks
30 mg's after that.
My next appointment is scheduled for July 28th which seems an awfully long time away but that's the plan and I am going to stick to it.

I know you are praying for me. Please make sure to include Bill, Emma and Jacob. Like I needed to ask....
Thanks.
Kris

No comments: