Friday, December 28, 2007

Kris Bargers Journey of 1044 miles begins with one step...

Dear Family and Friends,
I will be sending out the following message via emails and USPS over the weekend. I just thought I would give you a sneak peak.

My’-o-si’-tis: a muscle disease believed to be autoimmune in nature causing inflammation and degeneration of muscle tissue.

One of the goals I have chosen for 2008 is to raise money and awareness for the Myositis Association. As many of you know, I was diagnosed with this rare muscle disease in June 2006. Prior to this diagnosis I enjoyed the challenge and thrill of triathalons. Somehow, exercise took on a whole new meaning for me when there was a finish line in front of me. Going to the gym, because it’s good for me…isn’t working so well. I need a new motivator.
On September 18th, 2008 the 15th annual Myositis Conference will take place in Denver, CO. I am not sure if I will be in attendance for that weekend event but I have decided that I will swim, bike, walk and run my way there between January 1st and September 18th via my membership at the Wisconsin Athletic Club and the beautiful streets and bike paths of Milwaukee (once the weather gets nice again).
It is 1044.1 miles from my home in Bayside, WI to Denver, CO.
No freaking out allowed.
No saying, "Kris you have a disease, you can’t or shouldn’t do this."
I can and I should (and the doctor will be watching me closely). I know this disease was part of God’s Master Plan for me. Right now, I know I have it to make others aware of it and to help those that have it find their reason too.
I will begin my journey on January 1st.
My goal is to raise at least $1044.10 (one dollar for every mile)
AAA is sending me my TripTix today. If you are interested in following the journey I will keep you posted through my blog at http://krislanebarger.blogspot.com.
Thank you in advance for your support and encouragement.
Sincerely,
Kris L Barger

1 comment:

Dad and Mom said...

Dear Kris, What a great challenge you have set for yourself!!! You can count on Dad and me to help in any way we can. Lots of love to all. Mom