Saturday, February 9, 2008

YIPPEE...we broke 100 and you carried me this week

I just added up the miles since January 1st and we are at 101.05. That means we have just 943.05 miles to go. I had to listen to my body this week and take a break from the WAC. After adding up the combined miles though I am inspired to get back there. It's important for me to remember (and you too) that it's one step at a time. If I can only walk for five minutes it still counts and it's still getting me closer to Denver.

When I was resting this afternoon my mind was spinning with all the different ways and the many groups of people I could work with to raise money and awareness for Myositis.
Should I plan a walk/run for Myositis? Possibly a 5K through Bayside? or should I have cool t-shirts made that people could make a donation to purchase and then wear while they are walking or running to Denver with me? I am, of course, way out of my league on this but again, if you have any ideas or know any talented people who have done this kind of thing before, let me know.

It is so much nicer to focus on something GRAND than the everyday yuck that comes with this disease.

Thanks for hanging in there with me the last couple of days while I was offering less than positive words.

If you find yourself in a bookstore, please look for the book "The Pig of Happiness" by Edward Monkton. I received a copy of it in the mail this week from my sister-in-law Meg and it makes me smile. You will smile too, I promise.

Good Night.
Kris

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kris,

Yay! You got the book! Doesn't the title of it just make you giggle?!? I re-read it here and just chuckled to myself.
.
I have a way to do t-shirts, where you (or your cause) can get the profits... through Cafe Press. We use it for our church, and there are all sorts of products you can put your "logo" or message on, kids' or adults' shirts/sweats, mugs, all sorts of stuff. If you came up w/ your message or logo, I could maybe design it, and you can open a little on-line "store". It costs nothing to start up, Cafe Press gets the base price whenever people order things, and you get the mark-up that you decide to add on to each piece, they send you a check. I'll find a link to it and you can read about at your leisure. It's a pretty sweet deal, depending on what kind of mark-up you want, and how much people order. You could apply whatever "profit" comes in however you like, apply it to a local fund raiser, donate it, whatever.
.
Ciao!

Roo (Beth) said...

I would love to "organize" an event for you - I think I could do it and add it to my list of successfully planned events...we'll talk if you decide to go that route.

As far as miles go...you know what I said about getting you back...well - hmmm - I started and I'm going to try to keep going (I'm counting biking in there too - just so you know)...

So - you can put 5.04 miles down (that wasn't all in one time...I've just been waiting).

But I love my gym (so far) - so it will be easy to go back. Not that I've participated - but they have a night where they bring in free pizza and one morning where they bring in bagels (once a month). I think it's sort of funny - but kind of cool. Not WHY I joined - but a "perk".

Love you Kris! Oh and my "road ID" came in for my tennis shoes - wanna know the motto I chose??? MY motto... "I Am...Because I Can"