Monday, January 26, 2009

5 of 40

I received a wonderful email from my sister recently.
It was titled "40 tips to a better life in 2009" I'm turning 40 in 2009 and I made a resolution to chose healthy living. This is certainly a wonderful guide for me to have.
Here are the first 5. I'd like to know you are coming back to see all 40 so I will do my best to post five every week for the next 8 weeks. This makes it easier to consider and implement if you are interested.
1. Take a 10-30 minute walk every day. And while you walk, smile.
It is the ultimate anti-depressant.
2. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day.
3. Buy a DVR and tape your late night shows and get more sleep.
4. When you wake up in the morning complete the following statement,
'My purpose is to __________ today.'
5. Live with the 3 E's -- Energy, Enthusiasm, and Empathy.

I'll be back soon. I need to use writing to figure out why I chose to try the coffee cake at work this morning, which was followed then by the two remaining Christmas cookies that I uncovered in the pantry, followed by a few shortbread cookies. The final sleeve was opened tonight and they didn't get put back into the freezer so I ate them. Now they are gone. No more temptation.
OK, I guess I am just going to keep on writing.
I have an addiction to sugar. The dessert kind... though it may also be the reason that one glass of wine isn't always enough. I know this yet I still made that stupid choice this morning to feed the temptation with homemade blueberry coffee cake.
I walked by it.
I resisted.
I went back to my desk and announced that it would be a hard thing to avoid and one coworker said "it's fantastic, I couldn't resist it." Another coworker said, "oh, I had to try it too but I only took a one inch square".
A one inch square, now there's an idea. There's a dumb idea for someone who knows how hard it is to stop once I have started. The one inch square was not enough. I went back three times for one inch squares.
Writing is a very strengthening exercise. By writing it down I am getting smarter as to how I will handle that challenge tomorrow, or maybe even later tonight. Write first, wait it out...and then decide if it's really the choice I want to make.
Thanks for checking in on my journey.
Kris B

2 comments:

Meg said...

I love #4.... intentionally thinking about a goal for the day instead of my usual casualness about it. Thanks Kris :)

Pat said...

My problem isn't sweets--it's just chewing on something, anything--I've found that that chewing gum is a real help--I'm satisifying the "sweet" thing, and I'm chewing something. Take care--love you.