Saturday, January 10, 2009

A new year

We are ten days into the new year and ever since we rang in 2009 I have been thinking about catching up with you. Ever year for the past four or five years I have always spent considerable amount of time writing out my goals for the year ahead. I need a plan. I need goals.
This year however, I did not write out my goals. I simply made a statement to live by.
"I will chose to live a healthy life."
The greatest example so far are the wonderful walks I have been taking since we welcomed "Star" into our family on the Saturday following Christmas. She was a gift to Emma and Jake from Bill and I, however, we have all come to love her for very different reasons. I love my new walking partner. Who would of thought a K9 companion could be an exercise accountability partner?

This week, it was my fortunate luck to be watching Oprah when she talked about her struggles with weight. One particular statement she made was so powerful and personal for me....she said that she needs to love the body that she is in. She needs to remember that the body she currently has is the same body that continues to have a heart that beats and lungs that breathe and God's blessing her with these working organs and another day. All of this regardless of how she treats it. Regardless of the medications, regardless of what food she choses, regardless....her heart still beats, her lungs still breathe, now why in the world would anyone chose to give anything less to than the best to this amazing and loving body.
All of a sudden, "chosing to be healthy" just got a little easier.

Well, Star is seeking my attention so off I go...more on chosing to be healthy to follow in the days and weeks to come.
klb

No comments: