Friday, June 24, 2011

First things first

Today I saw an endocrinologist and she said I have secondary adrenal insufficiency caused by years of taking steroids. The treatment is 5 mg of prednisone forever. I also learned that if I ever get sick with a cold or infection I need to double the dose until I feel better. If I ever get the flu, and am throwing up or can't keep anything in, I have to go immediately to the ER and get a stress dose of hydrocortisone.
In addition to that update, she ran more lab work and question why I ever stopped taking the medication for hypothyroidism. Not sure, just had a doctor tell me I didn't need it anymore so I stopped. Hypothyroidism doesn't go away. She suspects that the tests will come back and I will need to start medication for that too. This might be the cause of the fatigue. If the new meds don't help, then she thinks we can look at moving to the rituxen for my myositis. She also recommended that I start a low carb diet as I am predisposed to diabetes and bone density issues because of all the medications I have been taking over the years.
With all that being said, wouldn't it be nice if the change to my diet helped me lose the weight I have been trying to shed over the past 5 years. Wouldn't it be cool if it was just my thyroid that is causing fatigue and muscle aches?
I'm good. Taking each day as it comes and being thankful for my friends, my family, the blessing of being a mom, a wife, a sister and a daughter.
Have a great weekend.
When I know more, I will post again.
Thanks.
Kris

PS - Phillipians 4:13 is now hanging on a chain around my neck. It's a great reminder as I start each day.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

No comments: