Thursday, June 2, 2011

I don't remember....

I think of it often but don't take the time to get back to my blog and write what's going on with me.
The thing is, I don't remember what it feels like to feel great. June marks the 5 year anniversary of the results of the muscle biopsy. The scar in my thigh has faded, the disease has not. There are many days that I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. What would it be like to not have to push through a day? I go to the gym because I can. I go to work because I can. School functions and church functions because I can. Actually, there isn't much I can't do, but the price is fatigue. This has not gotten the best of me, but it has gotten me back to the doctor. Last week I decided I had had enough and there has to be something else we can try. I had a cold so the increased fatigue may be from that. My red blood cell count is low. Not low enough that it caused any alarms for my doctor accept now that the aches and fatigue have come on stronger I am being monitored more closely. The aching in my arms and hands is a daily thing now. The fatigue is....well, exhausting. I am back on a low dose of prednisone and she has prepared me for the fact that I might have to take it forever. She is hoping that will help me kick this thing but if it doesn't, she would like me to start a new medication called Rituxan. This is two infusions (they can take 2-5 hours), 15 days apart that could make me feel good for up to six months. When the Rituxan wears out, I can get another infusion. They use the drug primarily to treat people with Rheumatoid Arthritis but it has been effective in people with dermatomyosits as well. Last week I wasn't so sure I wanted to go this route, today it seems like it might be the right choice. Everything has side effects, all medications carry with them risks. My doctor has to disclose the risk but also feels that the positives would outweigh the negatives. I'll keep you posted on what I decide.
A few of you have asked if there will be a second annual Myositis walk and I know there will be. I just don't know if it will be the first or second Saturday of September. I do know it will be at Nicolet High School again and I am thinking of how to incorporate a running aspect into the event as well. The raffle was a last minute thing but it was raised a lot of money so if you know of any business owners or people who would want to donate gift cards or other items to that part of the event I would really appreciate it.
Take care my friends.
I don't take for granted each day I am given. I count my blessings instead of sheep. good night.

No comments: