Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Farther, faster....

A journey of 1044 miles goes a lot faster when you have people walking with and for you...

I got a call last night from my dad and an email from my Uncle Dave and they were wondering if they could help me cover the miles to Denver. I will still keep track of my individual miles but I will add their miles covered (and my mom's too) to my overall total and I will get farther faster. I will still walk, bike and swim all 1044 miles but I will do it in the company of friends and family.
If you would like to add your own miles to the overall total you can either put them in the comments section of my blog or email them to me directly (wbarger@wi.rr.com). Who knows, with help I might be able to take this "virtual trip" back and forth to Denver a couple of times between now and September 18th.

How many miles do you think we can cover making it a combined effort?
Really, I wonder what you think. If you would like to submit your guess, I will award a prize (yet to be determined) to the one who comes the closest.

Regarding this goal of raising awareness and money for myositis research, it is definitely a work in progress. I am learning as I go and adding and changing along the way. If you have any ideas or questions or need clarification, please let me know. One thing that someone asked was regarding my campaign page on the TMA website. You do not need to donate there if you don't want to put in your information on their website. I will email them and find out if I can issue receipts and/or documentation for your tax reporting purposes and let you know via my blog when I hear back from them regarding this.

I have to tell you, there is a wave of relief knowing that more than a mile or two will be covered every day and that it isn't all on my shoulders. I was wondering how I might keep you all entertained over the next 38 weeks at that pace...talk about the turtle winning the race. That would be too much scenic reporting for even the most positive person.

I'm looking forward to seeing who else might want to log their miles.

Here is a New Years Wish for you. I received it from my sister-in-law Meg, but I am certain she wouldn't mind me sharing it.

Treasure the memories of yesterday, make new dreams for tomorrow.

May you begin each day with a new dream...and end every day with a peaceful heart.

Happy new year!


klb

2 comments:

Meg said...

Hi Kris, thanks for the shout-out in your blog... I feel so honored I think I'm blushing! After my week+ in Wisconsin, it may be my skin just reverting back to normal after the frozen shock. But thank you-- I will always send all the good chi I can find!

Regarding your trek: I have to say, I was going to offer up my feet for your journey as well! But I was being so ultra-cocky that I was considering saying "I'll do the mileage from my house in California to Denver," thinking of course that I am so much closer, it'd be a snap, right?!? Actually, it's farther! 1275 miles or so from where I am to Denver. ACK! Being the realist I am (this morning, anyway), that's probably more than I can trek by September.

So, I'd like to add my miles to your journey as well, my feet are yours! Will send my tallies to your email so as not to clog the boards here.

*** And a challenge to the family *** those of you who run or walk for health or pleasure, add your miles to our dear Kris' tally, too... imagine what numbers we could post for our dear Kris!

Gotta go-- work calls, and a rain storm is headed this way. Happy new year, all :)

Pat said...

Hi, Kris--After my graceful act in August, my daily walking has been put on hold. My plan is to start off the New Year (almost) next Monday by trying to do my daily walk, and I will keep you in mind and forward my daily totals every week. Take care--and let's do it!!
Pat