Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Lemonade and Cards

The last couple of days have been hard. When I do more than I should (like summerfest) it takes days to recover. I cancelled my physical therapy appointment. There was no way I could have successfully completed even one set of exercises. When the therapist called to check in on me and reschedule we discussed how I was feeling and what I would do differently the next time.

I used to love exercising in the morning. For years it's been an awesome way for me to start the day. Everyone in the house is still sleeping, the neighborhood is quiet, the sun is coming up over the lake.
She suggested I find joy in exercising after dinner. Since I have been off of steroids I am very stiff and achey in the morning. The walk is painful not pleasurable and she is also concerned if I exert that energy in the morning before work it will make being at work more difficult. I did commit to stretching in the morning and doing physical therapy exercises as well (total that takes just over 30 minutes). This will be a nice alternative to my morning walk (bonus....I can do some of it while still in bed and ALL of it while still in pajama's) I look forward to finding and reporting to you the great things I have come to realize when walking at night. She did say it was OK to take my bike out for a ride but I have to build my courage back up for that. I know, I know..."its like riding a bike"

Now what is it about lemonade and cards...

A couple of weeks ago I watched a video clip of a woman who also has Myositis. One of the things she said is "all those old sayings are true"
"When life gives you lemons make lemonade."
"It's not the cards your dealt but how you play them."

In my opinion, she couldn't have been more right.

Have a great day.
I hope you find joy everyday but tomorrow I hope it comes through a celebration of the personal freedom you have for those things that mean the most to you and the freedom we enjoy together as a nation.
God surely has blessed America (and me)
Happy Fourth of July.
Kris

No comments: