Thursday, June 28, 2007

The wait is over...

The wait is over...
This afternoon I received the "all clear" from my doctor to return to work on July 9th. There are limitations. I will return to work restricted to five hours a day for two weeks. At that point the doctor and I will discuss how I am feeling and she will increase it to six hours a day. We will see where we go from there when the time comes.
My bone density results were awesome. One of the negative side effects of long term steroid use is the effects on your bones. Mine have not been effected negatively. The doctor complimented me on my exercise before I got sick and my desire to continue to be active. She said she is certain that it worked to my advantage over the past year.
If you are not active, start now. Your bones will thank you for it.

I also received a new medication to offset the side effects of the methotrexate. I will increase the folic acid on the morning that I give myself my shot. I will not give myself an injection until the evening and I will take a new drug called ___?___ (the prescription is in the car) the morning after the injection. Also moving the injection date to Saturdays so that if I'm going to feel like crap I can rest on Sunday. That's what Sunday's are for anyway, right?
Regarding the pain and stiffness I have in my knees, feet, hips, back and neck...could be the disease or it could be steroid withdrawal (not adrenal suppression). I told her it is absolutely not bad enough for me to go back on steroids and she said that if it is steroid withdrawal I should feel better in a couple of months.
So, that's probably all the medical stuff you care to hear for awhile. If I continue to feel good my next lab work will be done in a month (as it has been for the past year) and my next doctor appointment will be in 6 weeks.
Thanks for checking in.
Kris

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great news, Kris! And thanks for the heads up- personal testimony that I need to my @$$ to the gym more often.

;) Meg

Pat said...

Kris-That is such unbelievingly good news. Don't forget that we're only a phone call away if you need any help whatsoever.
Pat

dave & susie said...

Kris- that is some great news.
Your comments and outlook on life are very encouraging. Stay strong, the Lord is holding you in His hands.
We love this site.